Five Steps to Holistic Wellbeing
In yogic practice, there is an understanding that we have 5 subtle layers of the body. Exercising all layers is necessary for our entire wellbeing. Here is how we can address them:
- Physical body: participate in fitness activities that support your unique body. You might choose to take a yoga class one day, a dance class the next, and a HIIT workout the next day. It doesn’t matter what you do as long as you move your body, sweat a little (or a lot), and get the energy flowing. Also, it's important to nourish your body with foods that uplift you. The foods we eat should be fresh, organic, nutrient dense, and light to help our bodies thrive.
- Energetic body: schedule rest and improve your quality of sleep. Notice when you need to recharge and make the time to do that. Whether you want to just lay on your couch and watch movies or book yourself a spa treatment, it’s crucial to let your body rest from time to time. One of the best ways to maintain restoration within your body is by making sure that you are also getting quality sleep on a regular basis. Studies show that we need at least 7-9 hours of sleep a night. Get yourself on a routine that gets you to bed on time, blackout all the lights with a blackout curtain and/or a weighted eye pillow, and attempt to avoid technology use before bed to help your mind wind down. And lastly, make sure to feed your soul with hobbies or projects that truly make you happy. Not all of us have our dream job (yet) and it's important to keep doing what makes you happy, even if it’s just a passion project for now.
- Mental body: find ways to enrich your personal and professional development. This could be through reading a book, signing up for a workshop/class, joining a club with like-minded people, or following a page that keeps you accountable for where you want to go in this life.
- Emotional body: practice self-reflection and look for the lesson behind each experience. Self-reflection can be done through journaling, meditation, therapy, or working with a guide. Keep in mind that each experience is meant to teach us something. I am a firm believer that if you miss the lesson, the same type of situation will keep happening until you learn how to evolve from that experience.
- Cosmic or bliss body: find joy through community and connect with something bigger than yourself. Get involved with a movement that resonates with you. See yourself in others and be in service with something beyond yourself. This includes seeing the life and beauty in all that surrounds you. I deeply feel this whenever I’m in nature or when I’m in a group yoga class. Let yourself be open to connection with your environment and the people around you.
Reach out if you have any questions and happy planning,